Friday, June 11, 2010

I'm in Europe! (but it wasn't easy)


So, day 2, I'm back to the same terminal, and they flew in another plane to Chicago. (It looks the same, but its a different plane). We get in, we take off, everyone claps. Haha. So, I'm pooped, we spent so much of the day in the airport and I figure I'm going to get some sleep on the plane, but who knew that there would be about 10 small kids/babies who decide to cry every 15 minutes. As soon as I started to fall asleep, WAAAAH.
























So, we make it Dublin. We have a tour which takes us around Dublin a bit. Pubs on every block within the center of Dublin. Drove by the Brazen Head, Ireland's oldest pub from 1198. Hopefully I'll get a drink when I go back to Dublin in a few days.



Part of the tour was to Newgrange. Newgrange was constructed over 5,000 years ago (about 3,200 B.C.), making it older than Stonehenge in England and the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt. Newgrange was built during the Neolithic or New Stone Age by a farming community that prospered on the rich lands of the Boyne Valley. Archaeologists classified Newgrange as a passage tomb
Newgrange Tomb


Newgrange tomb ceiling (looking up).
Its all pretty amazing that it was built over 5,000 years ago.


Outside of the center of Dublin. Yes, there is a lot of green. Not a lot of forests, but lots of green grass.


Ok, so the trip ended and we needed to take a train to Cork, Ireland, where my uncle was going to meet us because he lives nearby there and was picking us up from the train station. We find the station, but of course, the train is delayed. The first train that was scheduled to come broke and 30 minute delay. Which turned into 45 minute delay and then turned into a 1 hour delay. Something is making me think that these are signs i shouldn't be here? Well, I trek on. We make it to Cork and to the city of Kinsale. In Cork, they have to tallest building in all of Ireland (probably about 20 floors).
Well we arrived, and that is all for today folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment